The Law Offices of Jan H. Brown, P.C., is a New York City-based law firm specializing in the practice of immigration law. The firm’s principal attorney, Jan H. Brown, brings over 40 years of experience in the field of immigration law. Mr. Brown served as president of the New York Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) in 2010. He currently co-chairs the Immigration and Nationality Committee of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA). He was also the co-chair of the NYSBA Special Committee on Immigration Representation Sub-Committee on Standards and Quality, and has testified before the New York Council concerning the detention of criminal aliens. Mr. Brown recently authored proposed legislation to stem the illegal practice of immigration law by unlicensed practitioners. He has lectured on immigration topics as diverse as fiancé visas, examining and understanding immigration documents, non-immigration categories updates, National Visa Center procedures, family immigration trends, attorney compensation cases for the immigration lawyer, and 35 Business Immigration Questions Answered. Mr. Brown authored “The Uncommon Remedy-Common Law Marriage” published by Immigration Briefings, as well as numerous articles in support of his speeches.
Mr. Brown is a senior editor of the Immigration and Nationality Law Handbook and a long time editorial reviewer of Kurzban’s Immigration Law Sourcebook.
The popular “Brown Around Town” editorial cartoon series, commenting on topical immigration issues, is drawn and authored by Mr. Brown.
With Mr. Brown’s guidance and direction, the firm’s staff earnestly work to ensure a detail-oriented approach to the practice of immigration law.
- Former Chair, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) New York Chapter
- Current Co-Chair – New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) International Section, Immigration and Nationality Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Sub-Committee on Standards and Quality, NYSBA Special Committee on Immigrant Representation
Mr. Brown’s lectures on immigration law include:
- The NYSBA Annual International Law Conference in Madrid, Spain on the subject of non-immigrant work visas
- The Association of the Bar for the City of New York Continuing Legal Education Conference on the topic of “Structuring Corporate Transactions to Maximize Nonimmigrant Visa Benefits”
- Pace Law School lecture on “Putting the Squeeze on Foreign Visitors”
- Numerous NYSBA “Bridge the Gap” programs on the subject of U.S. immigration law
- Editorial Reviewer – Kurzban’s Immigration Law Sourcebook
- Contributing Author – Visas Processing Guide – Process and Procedures at U.S. Consulates and Embassies
- Contributing Author/Editor – Immigration and Nationality Law Handbook
- Contributing Author – Immigration Law Today
Mr. Brown has appeared on the following television news shows on the subject of U.S. immigration:
- WABC (NY) Eyewitness News
- WNBC New York Live at Five
- WPIX (NY) News at Ten